 |
| Abe's Cafe |
Today I cleaned, and as with anything taken to excess after several hours I felt the urge to wander away from the apartment. I persuaded Gregor to accompany me to downtown Littleton for lunch with ease, and he found it all the more agreeable since he needed to go to the bank anyways. We walked.
I guess we like walking. It's one of those things we do when we feel like we need a break but still want to be productive. I don't believe we consider it exercise, but I guess there is something about nature that just seems healthy. Getting out in the sunshine is rewarding, and if there is a yummy meal to be had for the price of a short walk all the better.
 |
| ...The sun shown very strongly on this window front table... |
|
|
The journey went well, if it can be called a journey. There isn't much particularly gorgeous about the walk during early January, though the 50 degree weather does seem rather mild compared to the bitterness of a Wisconsin New Year's Day. We arrived at the bank in high spirits, as is the result of a brisk walk. We found the service to be exceptional today, and Gregor was seated with a banker rather than having to wait for a teller to become available. It was here Gregor submitted his deposit while I sat idly by in another chair. We talked to Scott, my personal banker who happened to be handling Gregor's deposit, and we shared with him our desire to find food. He recommended this little place called Abe's Cafe. We didn't know what he was talking about, but still in good spirits we left the bank intent on finding this little place which might as well be our ultimate food destination.
 |
| ...a wine display to rival any in Littleton... |
We found the place without much trouble, though on the way we were puzzled by a strange tweeting sound that accompanied us whenever we crossed an intersection. Gregor recalled that these 'tweeters' had been installed for the blind people that frequent the area so they could know when they could cross the street. How nice. Not long after that intersection we found ourselves entering a little 'Old World'-esque cafe with old wood floors and stucco walls. It reminded me of some place you would find in a much larger city, not on a main street. Abe greeted us, and to our surprise Abe was a jovial middle-aged Greek man who upon learning we were unfamiliar with his establishment described all his delicacies to us and assured us all his sandwiches were excellent. Gregor noticed that his daughter, an attractive young lady I would put between the age of 18 and 24, was also excellent--a point he brought up after we had left though his eyes gave him away far before that.
 |
| ...classic deli... |
We selected our dishes while admiring the decor and atmosphere. I particularly enjoyed the lively Greek music. From our window seat we watched a very upper-middle class looking family of tourists enter the cafe. They soon left. Gregor and I soon found our discussion after that turning to things such as culture shock and the surprising location of such an 'ethnic' restaurant. That family doesn't know what they missed out on, for as soon as our food was delivered we discovered that Abe was good as his word, though just in case he still came over to personally ascertain whether his food was suited to our tastes. It was. There was nothing flashy about the food, but it was filling and delicious which is really all two 24 year old males could really want.
We left the restaurant, thankful for the experience, and intent upon our next destination--a coffee place just down the street. We each got something there and as we walked back with our beverages, my cappuccino and Gregor his latte, we drank them and considered the role the caffeine would play in keeping us productive for the rest of the afternoon. Abe's sandwiches were definitely on the side of napping on the couch. We really didn't finish the conversation because we noticed a heron standing by a pond that we walked by. It did not fly away, but rather stood its guard over the ducks which moved busily about the pond (which was rather small). I purposed in my mind to ask the first person I meet who knows something about birds why the heron stands on one leg. Now that the moment has passed I am more interested in whether the opportunity will ever arrive, and if it does whether I will remember anything of herons and legs or points of interest previously expressed.
It was a good day one might say. A small walk can go a long way...
No comments:
Post a Comment