~Here's to the one I love~
Love found me unexpectedly. Three and a half years ago I saw the girl I was going to marry and didn't realize it. But, love was still found. I saw her again and again and I remember the energy of each meeting. What was this beautiful creature from whom life seemed to be more real while in her presence? Too often we speak of dreams, but I found in reality that heightened perception, the nervous energy of almost touching, the enchantment of a glittery eye. Her presence intruded into my solitary existence: a darker plain of meandering suddenly illuminated by the light of her smile. Often I looked away. One can only stare into the sun for so long before the round orb of light is ingrained into the mind. Her smile was no different, and even with eyes down the gentle laughter suppressed with each of her smiles stayed with me. Reality found me, and I could find no better thing in my dreams.
What of this nervous energy? What of almost touching? So often I had taken human contact for granted. She was different. Fired up for interaction each time she was near, I craved something extra. Could a man hope to touch the sun and not get burned? Soon, with contrived pretenses retrospectively obvious I approached her hand. To sit where she sat, to walk where she walked. Her laughter in my ears while we played, pretense soon gone.
I'm not sure when I knew. When I knew that hers was the eye, the laugh, the mind I could commit to. There is a knowing without knowing, and I walked that trail with her for some time. But, her lips demanded more, and there is knowing that you know. I knew. Hand in hand we walked enchanted trails through common places, transformation wrought in the shared pleasure of each others company. Moonlit nights alone, or crowded sidewalk by day, walking by her side I slowly gave way. And, so it was that at last we kissed, and this little romance took form into official, dating, dance.
I think everyone knew it before I did. There was some sort of abandon in our walk together that is not found everyday. A fun-loving abandon encased in our commitment, blessings received from each other, a completeness found as if I'd lived life half lost, now found. I think we were a whirlwind stirring up the leaves of others' solitary seasons, and around her and I others too seemed to be finding love.
This is the life I choose. She is the one of my choosing, but how amazing that she too would choose me? God help me not elevate the blessing that she is above all. I would do so much for this lovely being, this girl, this woman. God help me lift her to where she belongs. By my side. Here's to Jackie. Here's to the one I love.
I miss getting stuff like this from you. Letters, poems, and notes from you were always so much better than going out on dates.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to marry you!